Milk Allergic/Sensitive Recipes: A Spring Meal
While I was totally rocking the dairy-free lifestyle during the winter due to a bunch of soups and stews, Spring has brought a new challenge to eating dairy free. It’s far too hot for soups and stews down here in South Carolina! Usually, during the warmer months Derek and I enjoy a bunch of cheesy pasta dishes and our famous on the deck crackers, lunch meat, exotic cheeses, and fruit meal. My brain is warped with trying to adapt dairy free into this new season, but I think it’s mainly because I’m too lazy or too busy with tired girls to want to make more than a one dish meal. Slowly, I think I’ll get into a dairy-free summer groove.
Here’s our dinner from a few nights ago.
Grilled kielbasa, Jiffy Corn Muffins (made with water), and Spicy Okra and Tomatoes.
Spicy Okra and Tomatoes
I like things pretty hot, but mixing the okra with the muffins mellows this dish out just a we bit. If you don’t like hot, you can substitute a regular can of tomatoes.
- One Onion, sliced thinly
- 5 cloves of Garlic, minced
- Cooking Oil (I think I used Canola… but it might have been Olive)
- about a pound of Okra, cut into coins
- a small can of diced tomatoes with green chilis
- Saute the onions and garlic in oil until the onions are translucent.
- Add the okra and saute until they are warm.
- Add the can of Tomatoes and green chilis and let simmer until most of the juices are absorbed.