Milk Allergic/Sensitive Recipes: Coconut Ice Cream
I loved the Purely Decadent Vanilla Coconut Ice Cream when I tried it back at Christmas time. My husband bought it for me as a gift and I was drooling over the stuff. Later I went to the store to get it and it was $5.25 for a pint. YIKES! That’s serious treat money! I mean I could buy three whole bags of vegan chocolate chips for that amount and those would last me longer. While walking around Publix alone to get some “me time” last week, I suddenly remembered that I own an ice cream maker. The same ice cream maker responsible for Halloween Ice Cream and Amaretto Ice Cream from the pregnancy and pre-dairy free days of early babyhood. Surely I could make my own coconut ice cream and for less money. So I grabbed four 14 oz cans of coconut milk at the astonishing price of $4 and made a gallon of ice cream. You do have to like the flavor of coconut, but this treat certainly doesn’t taste like a health food dessert 😉
Coconut Milk Ice Cream ***
- four 14oz cans of Coconut Milk (I used two regular and two ‘lite’)
- 1 cup sugar
- Warm coconut milk in a saucepan with the sugar until the sugar dissolves.
- Cool for 4 hours in the refridgerator.
- Dump in ice cream maker and freeze according to manufacturers directions.
I haven’t tried any of these variations, but I’m sure they’d be tasty. If you try one, let me know how it goes.
- Pina Colada: Add a can of crushed pineapple
- Chocolate: Put 1 Cup Dutch Process Cocoa in the saucepan and then gently whisk in the coconut milk. Add coconut flakes for an almond joy delight!
- Berry: Puree 2 Cups of fresh or frozen berries. Strain the puree in a cheesecloth if the seeds of your chosen berrry bother you
- Tropical: Puree 2 Mangos and 1 small Papaya and add to the mix
***WARNING: This stuff may be quite addictive. Don’t say I didn’t warn you…