Milk Allergic/Sensitive Recipes: Mexican Chicken Soup
So I’m the proud new owner of a nose that won’t stop dripping. I’ve rubbed it raw many times over with tissue and due to the possiblity that Sudafed could dry up milk supply (and did dry mine up once before when I took it) there’s not much that makes my nose feel better. But this soup did the trick and I’m thawing out the second freezer meal in hopes that it’ll get me back up to 100%.
My small group leader served this a few Wednesday nights ago and it was so good I begged for the recipe, now I’m loving it even more. It’s easy to make and definitely makes me feel like I’m doing something good for my sick body 😀 I don’t know where she found this recipe, but “honey fudge” is a genius!
this is my favorite food in the whole world, it is so delicious! it is a little on the spicy side though, since that is how we like it…
50 min | 20 min prep
SERVES 6 -8
- 3-4 chicken breasts, cubed
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes with green chilies
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 8 cups chicken broth (I added more broth)
- 3 tablespoons jalapenos, chopped (i used a single fresh one)
- 2 limes, cut into wedges (you can also use bottled lime juice)
- 1 avocado, chopped
- In a large pot, add everything but the rice, avocado and limes, cook on high heat, bring to a boil for 30 minutes.
- Turn heat down to low and simmer, add rice and stir as little as possible until you are ready to eat.
- Add avocado chunks into soup and stir once.
- When ready to eat serve soup with juiced lime wedges, the juice adds a very nice flavor to the soup.