In Search of Real Modesty: True Beauty Conversations
Julia and I are exploring the meaning of Beauty, intersecting Beauty with the word of God, and letting Beauty live in our lives. Inspired by a joint feeling of just not measuring up in the beauty category, we’re tackling some hard questions:
- What is Beauty? And does it reside in me?
- And when my husband says that I’m beautiful, how can I receive those words as truth in a culture that says the opposite?
- What am I going to teach my daughters about Beauty?
- And most importantly, what does the Word of God say about Beauty?
Join us as we converse about a topic that touches the heart of all women.
It’s such a buzz word in the Christian community. Yet the word means such different things to each person. Some think modesty means flowing dresses and head coverings. Others believe modesty means women should only wear skirts and dresses. There a new movement for modesty coupled with modern dress. Finally, there are those who feel that bikini’s can be modest because they cover all the important bits.
But I’m going to consult Dictionary.com and go back to the definition of the word itself.
- The quality of being modest; freedom from vanity, boastfulness
- Regard for decency of behavior, dress, speech
- Simplicity; Moderation
- Having or showing a moderate or humble estimate of one’s merits, importance, etc; free from vanity, egotism, boastfulness or great pretensions.
- Free from ostentation or showy extravagance
- Having or showing regard for the decencies of behavior, speech, dress, etc.
- Limited or moderate in amount, extent, etc
It seems to me that the quality of modesty might just go a bit deeper than convictions on what clothing we should or should not wear.
Jump on over to Julia’s blog to read the rest!